Thursday, April 9, 2009

April 9, 2009 Letter

To My Forever Child



Your mom has been after me to write you a letter for a while now. It’s not that I don’t want to do it, I’m just not as gifted at writing like your mom is. But I promise, this won’t be the first and last letter you get from me. I promise to always tell you how I feel.



I have so much to say so let’s get started. First of all, I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am that you are going to be a part of our forever family. I have often wondered if I would be a good dad. My dad was awesome to me and I only hope I can at least be half as good as he was and is to me. Everyone tells me that I will be a great dad. The promise I’m going to make to you right now is that I will always do my best to do what is right and make the decisions that I feel will be best for you. Yes, I will mess things up from time to time and you may not always agree with the decisions your mom or I make. But everything I do, I am doing to make your life the best it can be. I won’t always have the answers or the skills to do some things, but we will get through it together! Baseball and hotdogs. Hockey and nachos. Tea with Ted E. Bear. Hopscotch and lemonade. No matter what it is, we are going to have fun together and enjoy many fantastic adventures. And we will do all of these and many more together! I will support you in all that you wish to accomplish. I will be there for you on your greatest achievements. I will be there for the downfalls and the broken hearts. The most important thing I want you to take from this is I WILL BE THERE FOR YOU! And so will mom.



When we found out that your mom could not have kids naturally, it broke my heart. From the time we met and started dating, we talked about what kind of parents we would be. I want you to know that even though mom is “broken” (her words, not mine), she is the love of my life and my very best friend in the world. To me, she is not “broken”. She is a very special lady and will be one fantastic mom. I can’t wait to come home and see her reading to you or working on a color page or even homework. I can’t wait to see her doctoring a boo boo you got because you were a little too big for your britches on the swing. But most of all, I can’t wait to see all of us together. Your mom has a lot of love and knowledge to give too. And believe me, the two of us will make sure you know just how much we love you. You truly have a great mom. In short, your mom ROCKS!!!



Some have brought up the question of the possibility of differences between background or ethnicity. The fact is your mom and I could care less. Black, white, red, yellow…IT DOESN’T MATTER TO US! We have chosen you to be a part of our family. We have chosen you to give all our love to. We have chosen you to complete our family. We will work very hard to bridge gaps and learn about cultures and backgrounds so that you know where you come from and we can respect you in that way. You are very special to us and we only want the best. We will do anything for you. God has led us to you. He has had this planned long before any of us were born. Now we are here to take this journey make this forever family the best it can be.





The time is getting closer and you will be with us. Tomorrow we have two inspections…one from the Fire Department – so you have a safe home to live in – and one from the Health Inspector – to make sure you stay as healthy as possible. After that, we have one more big visit from the state and then we work on getting you here. Each day that passes brings more joy and excitement that I cannot express in words. I would be lying to you if I didn’t tell I was scared to death too. But what parent isn’t the first time they have kids. We are ready for you. We Love You!! We will do everything in our power to make you safe, comfortable, warm, but most of all, you will be wanted and loved!! I guess there is only one other thing to say on this letter…



WELCOME HOME MY FOREVER CHILD! WELCOME HOME!

(Thanks Ty P. for such an awesome phrase!)



With all the love in the world to you,



Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment